Monday, September 7, 2009

“A few housekeeping chores. . . . . .” at the F. O. R. Food Bank, Maricopa, Arizona












“A few housekeeping chores. . . .” was a phrase frequently used by Dr. William R. Brice. He was one of my geology professors at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. It’s his fault that I have to doubt and question everything. When a student went to Dr. Brice with a question, the student received more questions rather than a direct answer. This encouraged me to find my own answers or as it should happen, many more questions.

Instead of goofing off this Labor Day weekend, I decided to clean out a couple of my overcrowded closets and drawers. I assembled several boxes full of clothing, shoes and useless junk including a clock radio, computer keyboard and a hot plate. I thought I could use this stuff as “bait” for a few “people in action” photographs. I was anything but disappointed.

The first Monday of the month at the F.O.R. Food Bank in Maricopa is normally the busiest. This is when both non-perishable and dry goods such as cereal, beans, pasta and rice along with canned goods are made available.

Rather than tossing out my worn out, torn, stained and tattered clothing, I donated them. Clothing is a very popular item at this food bank. I’m sure some of these people no longer have room to walk from one end of their house to the other without tripping over piles of clothes. I see people leave with armloads of things that are either too ugly to be worn in public or have absolutely no chance of fitting. They grab much of this stuff simply because it’s free.

I have to confess, I did accept a really nice pair of Dockers khaki shorts, a couple pairs of slacks and a dress shirt. I also grabbed that Sharp UX-P100 plain paper fax machine a couple of weeks ago. I was the only one there that had a real use for it. Somebody else would have taken it and sold it for crack.

The food bank volunteers stand on the porch and hand garments to the crowd below. On one occasion, a fat Mexican male ruffian scrambled for and grabbed a wash cloth from a nice little old lady. I really wanted to apply my boot to his head and stick my thumb in his eye. He’s one of the reasons I wrote letters to city hall requesting a police presence. I did exercise restraint and refrained from assaulting this person who was obviously in desperate need of a wash cloth. He could have used a comb and a razor too. Instead of squandering his money on alcohol, he should have invested a little more in personal hygiene.

As you can see by my pictures, words can’t describe the events I witnessed any better.

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! I’m ‘ENTITLED’ to those clothes! Make note of some of the expensive cars owned by these “very needy people”. I purposely included vehicles in my photos to demonstrate what kind of monster consumerism and debt has created. I think they should be called “The Luxury Poverty Class”. They’re so wrapped up with buying huge Ford Excursions, extra-cab 4X4’s, SUV’s, ipods, cell phones, video games, name brand clothing and laptop computers, they forgot that they had to eat.

It wouldn’t surprise me if people owe more on some of these vehicles than I owe on my home.

Standing in the crowd was a Hispanic male wearing a Pinal County photo ID badge. His name was Erik Gomez. I guess even the well paid county employees are not paid enough to buy their own food. This is the second time I’ve observed this subject there. He drove a different vehicle each time.

In the weeks to come, I’ll be monitoring the Farmers Convenience Store/Papago Rd swap meet to see if any of my clothing appears for sale. If that happens, there WILL be an opinionated and inflammatory follow-up story.
See previous blogs: http://vandal49588.blogspot.com/2009/08/farmers-convenience-store-maricopa-az.html, http://vandal49588.blogspot.com/2009/08/for-food-bank-maricopa-arizona-human.html
 
 
If you need food or some of my worn out clothes:

 
info@formaricopa.org
Hours: Every Monday from 10:00AM-11:30AM
Address: PO Box 723 Maricopa, AZ 85239
Phone #: 520-251-0226

Address: 19235 Gunsmoke Directions: Take Honeycutt Road headed East, past the stop sign at Porter Rd. Go right at the second dirt road which is Gunsmoke. About a half a mile down Gunsmoke, on the left hand side, you will see the double wide trailer.
 
“He who is greedy is always in want.” --Horace, Roman Poet 65 B.C. to 8 B.C.

1 comment:

  1. Monday, September 14, 2009: During today's food bank visit, I observed an Asian woman holding an alligator handbag while sucking on a very tall Starbuck's coffee. I'm 46 years old and never had Starbuck's coffee because it's too damn expensive. Hey! poor impoverished lady, Brew your own!

    ReplyDelete