Saturday, September 26, 2009

Friday, September 25, 2009: My trip to the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office in Florence, AZ. . . .

















I got up bright and early this morning and made my way to Florence, AZ. Friday was the day I got my Russian TOZ (Tulski Oruzkeiny Zavod) 17-1 .22 cal. rifle back from the evidence department of the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office where it had been for the last 13 years. After county officials read some of my emails and happened across my Blogspot entries, the process to secure it’s release was set in motion. My comment about having been deprived of personal property without the benefit of due process of law, appeared to have done the trick.

The new sheriff’s administration actually supports the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. For once, the voters made a good decision. Obviously, I had issues with the last two administrations as they both failed to return my rifle. Once again, the squeaky wheel got the grease.

Tulski Oruzkeiny Zavod

The post-war period was the time of the fruitful work in the creation of various sporting and hunting fire-arms. Such models as the T03-25 double-barrel hammerless shotgun, the "BM" double-barrel hammer gun and small-caliber rifles TOZ-8M, TOZ-12, TOZ-16, TOZ-17, TOZ-18 were designed in these years. http://www.tulatoz.ru/en/history.html

As I stated in my previous blog, my bad neighbors made false statements the day after their dog was impounded by animal control officers. http://vandal49588.blogspot.com/2009/06/thunderbird-farms-bad-dog-still-at.html
 
To get to Florence, I have to drive through Standfield (a.k.a. “Stand Still“), Casa Grande, Eleven Mile Corner and on to Coolidge. Standfield smells like cow manure and has a brown cloud that hangs over the town. There’s nothing worth stopping for there. There is no such thing as a short cut when it comes to getting to the Pinal County seat. It takes over an hour to get there from my home.

Florence is also home of the Arizona State Prison and the infamous Central Unit where executions are carried out. The prison gives Pinal County its’ name. There’s a long history of corrections here. People have been doing time here before Arizona became a state. The county jail is next door to the evidence section.I’ve visited the county complex before, so I had no trouble finding it. I made an appointment in advance. They knew I was coming. I had to sign a document and before I knew it, my rifle was back in my hands.

While in the lobby, a Mexican male walked in and asked about picking up some property. Since he did not have an appointment, he got nothing. He wasn’t too happy and foolishly tried to put on some kind of song and dance story. I politely told him that it took me 13 years to get this appointment and suddenly, his jaw dropped to the floor. I told him I was serious. It was time for me to leave because I had other business on the other side of the state.

I originally purchased three of these rifles back in 1992. They were only $50 each. I checked around and that particular model is up to as much as $175. I liked them because they were very well made. There were no plastic parts either. American .22 cal rim fire rifles manufactured over the last 35 years often have plastic parts such as trigger guards and magazines.

On the way home ,I stopped by the Casa Grande ruins. They are actually in Coolidge across the road from the Walmart. I’m not sure who named them. In any case, I didn’t like the sight of a “big box” store so close to a historic site. They should tear down that Walmart.

Needless to say, I’m happy to have my weapon back. After so many years and failed attempts at getting it back in the past, I thought it would have been turned into a man hole cover by now. The Pinal County Sheriff’s Office took good care of it. I loaded up the magazine and found a remote spot on the way home and fired it. I really like the smell of burnt gun powder. In fact, I like it better than the smell of napalm in the morning.
    
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning, you know one time we had a hill bomb, 12 hours. When it was all over I walked up, we didn't find one of them, not one stinking dink body. Smell, that gasoline smell, smells like. . . Victory." --Robert Duvall, Apocalypse Now, Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore

No comments:

Post a Comment