Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Part #7: “White Man’s Adventures Through The Welfare System”



With all of media hype regarding healthcare reform, the perils of socialized medicine and the pending legislation in the House being such a hot topic, I decided to break out some of my old blogs describing my trip through the healthcare and welfare system. After finding myself with health issues, I wrote an eight part series that described the process I was forced to navigate and endure. I have been there and done that. I’m hopeful that somebody might find some of the information and experiences helpful in their quest for answers or search for assistance.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008: Get In Line!

Believe it or not, my application for Social Security Disability was approved on the first attempt. Hearing loss is a “scheduled” injury/disability. I am also thankful that the “do nothing” Congress extended my unemployment benefits by 13 weeks. I am still waiting for the Industrial Commission to make a ruling on my workers’ compensation claim. My hearing was back in the middle of May. It was a shocking surprise that the Federal Government was more efficient than the State of Arizona.

I made my quarterly visit to the Department of Economic Security after casting my vote in my state’s primary election this morning. Unfortunately, I did not see my name on the ballot for the constable’s position. I tried to get an appointment to that position earlier this year.

The waiting room at the DES was like the zoo. It was crowded and the line was long. I ended up waiting over 90 minutes. During my wait, I made numerous observations. The first thing I noticed is that just about everybody that came in behind me couldn’t tell where the end of the line was. These maggot-like creatures thought they were so “entitled” that they could simply bypass the line and go straight to the counter. They were SO WRONG! I got to sit next to this elderly Mexican lady. We spoke for a while and we talked about some of the stupid people in the waiting room. As it turned out she doesn’t like line jumpers, Negroes or race mixers.

I also was surprised that a lot of unemployed people with no ambition were so busy that they didn’t have enough free time to wait. About half of the people that entered, walked out shortly after arriving. Making wasted trips perhaps is their norm.

After sitting there for an hour, this neatly dressed negroid sporting a black stocking on his head with his casual looking “wigger” buddy walked in the door. After checking the room out and with some help from everybody in front, they eventually found the end of the line. The obviously confused hip-hoppity white kid, with his cap on sideways, walked with this pronounced staggering bounce in his step and swung his arms around like an ape or baboon. This dynamic duo stood in line for less than five minutes before they were on the verge of “chimping out“. They both left the building.

A filthy smelly homeless looking colored guy walked in and tried to jump the line in front of me. I routed his foulness to the back of the line. I regret not bringing a camera as these all were “Kodak moments“. One of the biggest attention getters of all was this older white woman with this little mixed-race kid with messed up hair that reminded me of Buckwheat from the old children‘s show “Our Gang” (“Little Rascals“). Almost everybody in the waiting room gave her dirty looks. I said out loud, ”I should have brought a camera.” and everybody around me laughed.

When I go to the DES or any public facility, I carry a metal clipboard, wear nice pants and a dress shirt. I make sure that I stand out and get noticed. I act professionally most of the time unless my sense of humor gets the best of me.

I will be looking forward to my next trip to the DES in mid-December. I will bring a camera and pack a lunch.

Update:
I have been spared having to make return trips to the DES office in Casa Grande. This saves me 60 miles worth of gasoline. My future appointments were scheduled to take place at a local church in Maricopa. That means no more screaming babies, bad kids and smelly people. That practice was finally discontinued in May 2009, due to budget cuts. My interviews are now done over the phone and I fax copies of my utility bills to their office. I don’t have to look at the “hags” anymore.

In July 2009, my AHCCCS benefits were briefly reinstated for a period of two weeks. During that time, I spent four days in the ICU at the Casa Grande Regional Medical Center. Earlier in the year my AHCCCS doctor gave me a prescription being unaware that I had an ulcer. Over the months, I was slowly losing blood. By the time I made it to the ER, I was three pints low.

Because insurance companies are too cheap to pay for tests, your doctor could unknowingly kill you. Imagine slowly dying for four months and not even know it. This is what rationed heathcare is all about. I learned this from experience.

Those shifty-eyed career politicians in Washington D.C. with their “gold-plated” health plans never have to worry about this. Hopefully, in time these “non-representatives” will begin to fear angry voters when they take to the streets.

Although my ambulance ride and hospital stay was supposed to be covered, the ER doctor kept sending me a huge bill. After three months, the billing department finally got the message that I was angry and they quit sending them. Despite my hostile, descriptive and borderline threatening emails, they never called the police. I even sent them my little essay, “My Take on Insurance Companies”.

The people that work for these monsters deserve to be scared to go to work. Regardless of salary, I could never work for an insurance company. I think the guards at the WWII concentration camps were kinder and more humane than these bureaucratic beasts.

I would sooner invite Joseph “The Butcher” Mengele over for coffee before I would give the time of day to the CEO of any insurance company.

"To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle." -- George Orwell

No comments:

Post a Comment