Friday, May 7, 2010

White Man’s Adventures Through The Welfare System: Part #10




Having suffered serious hearing loss, possibly due to years of working in an allegedly loud and unsafe work environment at Cardinal Glass Industries, I find it very difficult to use the telephone. I’m lucky to hear the phone ring and if I do manage to answer it, I have to be in a silent room if I want any chance of understanding what the caller is saying.

I only use my right ear because my left ear is completely useless when it comes to phones. More of ten than not, the caller turns out to be some rag head trying to sell me some stupid shit I don’t want. Even if my hearing was good, understanding these gibberish spewing foreigners would be next to impossible.

Obviously, I have considerable contempt for telephones. I made it to the age of 46 before ever getting a cell phone. Some friends thought I needed one, so they got me this inexpensive prepaid phone. I was seriously thinking about throwing that damn thing away. On April 11, 2010, I had a $68 balance. Less than one month later it's nearly all gone. I made very few calls. If I had an extra $68 burning a hole in my pocket, I’d turn my satellite TV back on. I ditched that more than two years ago because I needed to live on less.

I gave up long distance and caller ID on my landline because I couldn't afford it. I have dial up internet because I can't afford anything faster. My electric bill was only $25.94 last month and here I am spending almost 3 times that much on a phone? This couldn’t get anymore wrong.

What bugged me the most was that I was even paying for wrong numbers other people dialed. This could get expensive if the same moron mistakenly calls you 20 or 30 times. Even the greedy bastards at Qwest don’t charge you for wrong numbers. I happen to live on the edge of a dead zone. Calls constantly get disconnected and the meter is running even as the number is being dialed. These wireless companies screw you coming and going.

I’m going back to using my CB radio. If conditions are right, look me(VANDAL) up on the upper side of Channel 38. Paying by the minute to talk on a radio is stupid. Who came up with the idea of carving up the ionosphere and selling it by the minute.? If you ask me, it sounds Jewish.

In the mean time, the filling that fell out of my tooth in Los Angeles last month hasn't been fixed because I cannot afford to. This is the second time that same filling fell out in approximately six months. At this point, the dentist should be paying me. I have an open nerve in my mouth and am reminded of it every time I drink something.

Unknown to me, the sliding fee discount I qualified for at the Sun Life Family Medical Center expired just before my filling came out. Once again, I have to apply for AHCCCS just to get a rejection letter. Doesn’t that sound stupid? Hopefully, they will be able to do the eligibility interview over the telephone. The DES office in Casa Grande is always full of stinky people, uncontrollable children and crying babies. There’s less chaos during feeding time at the zoo’s monkey cage. As much as I don’t like using the telephone, going to DES is much worse. This process is going to take a while. Remember, stay out of my way and nobody will get hurt.

I spent Tuesday morning in Sun Life’s financial aid office. I told their representative that I would get better and more economical service if I were in jail. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get arrested if I tried. I told her that I recently carried a loaded assault rifle along with other armed men in downtown Phoenix in close proximity to Sheriff Joe Arpaio and did so without being challenged by even one police officer. I think she thought I was joking. There’s nothing worse than to trudge through the quagmire of medical red tape for weeks on end.

In April, my monthly income was cut by 11% due to Medicare premiums, while at the same time, political idiots and special interest groups want to raise sales taxes to pay for more government waste. On May 18, 2010, I have to go vote against more taxes. Hopefully, my fellow voters don’t wake up stupid that morning. If this tax passes, I’m going to start stealing toilet paper from public restrooms to avoid the sales tax. Drastic times require drastic actions. If you voted for the tax and you suddenly have nothing to wipe with, you had it coming.

On top of the premiums are deductibles, co-pays and transportation costs. This comes as a shock to anyone living at the government established poverty level. For a one person household, the poverty level is $903/month. Imagine spending nearly 2/3 of that amount just to keep a roof over your head before utilities. I do.

One of my neighbors is dying of cancer and is often forced to miss chemotherapy because he doesn’t have the fuel to get to the doctor. He’s also a veteran. A welfare parasite that never worked a day in his/her life will receive 100% coverage, plus get a free ride in a cab to and from the doctor.

I also went from one prescription to two. Damn Cholesterol! My prescription drug coverage doesn't kick in until June. I did manage to get a 100% government subsidy for my Medicare Part D. I waited for 30 long months to finally get Medicare only to discover I cannot afford to use it. Why can’t I go to the hospital and stiff them on the bill just like the Mexicans do? If your brown, you get treated for free. If your white, you have to pay and pay and pay. Tell me that isn’t racist.

It got hot today and I didn't turn on the cooler because I couldn't afford to. That's also why I spent last winter without heat. My living room got down into the 30's several times, but I managed to deal with it. Last year, I spent less on electricity than many people spend in one month during the summer. I've given up a lot and I will have to give up more. There's no way out of it.

Senior citizens and the disabled consistently pay a higher percentage of their incomes for medical services that the working population. And old people call these the “golden years”? It must be the medication talking.

In a sick and dying nation, culture, race or civilization, political dissent and traditional values will be labeled and persecuted as heinous crimes by inquisitors clothing themselves in jingoistic patriotism. --David Lane, Precept #38

4 comments:

  1. Have you almost paid off the note on your house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less than three years to go is definately seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

    I'm also pleased to announce that I just received my bill from Sun Life Family Medical Center. I received $397.38 in services and I owe just $18.95. I thought it was going to be much worse. I still have more tests and follow-ups, so it isn't over yet. They also apprioved my financial aid request, so I'll be able to visit the dentist and finally get this tooth filled for a third time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my mother had to have a molar worked on years ago the county told her that it would remove the tooth for $30. If my mother wanted to save the tooth she would have had to pay for such care herself.

    Considering how bad Sun Life's previous dental care has proven, you may want to look into having another dentist or charity work on your tooth.

    How long have you lived down there in Pinal County?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been living in Pinal County for 17-1/2 years.

    Sun Life did quite a bit of dental work for me over the last several months. With the exception of one tooth, I'm really satisfied with the work they did. They even managed to fix something my orthodontist messed up 25 years ago.

    I couldn't find another local dentist that gives me a 75% discount either. The dental plan I once paid for at work didn't give me such a deal. I'm hoping the third time will be a charm.

    ReplyDelete