Thursday, August 5, 2010

Vekol Valley: Illegal Immigration Recon/Patrol South of I-8
















We were up and on the road before the sun came up this morning to conduct a recon/patrol of the Vekol Valley area south of Interstate 8. We opted for an early start due to the extreme heat advisory that‘s been in effect for the last couple of days.

Since I had not been to the base of Antelope Peak for a while, I decided to begin there. This was the location of the two killings and the wounding of a Pinal County Sheriff’s deputy a couple of months earlier. All was calm and quiet there.

Eventually, we made our way to Vekol Road through the spot along the Vekol Wash where I did the interview and patrol with Telemundo.

It had rained quite a bit the week before so any tracks would have been relatively fresh. We failed to find very many vehicle tracks. There were no human footprints at all. The only fresh tracks I discovered belonged to roaming bovines. I was able to hear them east of the road.

After a few miles it became obvious that somebody had been out to the area since my last visit. Lots of the illegal alien trash along Vekol Road had been picked up. It also appeared that someone had hauled some metal out of the “slaughterhouse”. I’m not sure if they were “scrappers” or what? As long as people are hauling out junk and garbage, it really doesn’t matter to me who they are. There’s plenty to go around.

After being out for several hours, we came across no recent signs of drug or human smuggling. I suspect the illegal alien traffic will increase in the near future when the next crop of cantaloupes is ready to pick.

Our efforts in denying criminals the use of this area seem to be successful. Sometime in the not too distant future, I’d like to invite the governor out here to chop down these travel warning signs.

Group raising money to buy guns for Pinal County sheriff

The Pinal County Justice Foundation is raising money to give deputies a better match against criminal firepower.

The volunteer group wants to equip sworn members of the Pinal County Sheriff's Office with semiautomatic rifles and is asking the public for donations.

An estimated 150 to 200 rifles are needed. Sheriff Paul Babeu said the county can't absorb the cost of these weapons - about $1,000 each - but that "the need is clear."
http://www.azcentral.com/community/pinal/articles/2010/08/05/20100805pinal-county-deputy-weapons-effort.html#ixzz0vmNtVFGG

If I were the sheriff, I’d be embarrassed to ask the public for donations to buy rifles. The entry level salary for a Pinal County Sheriff’s deputy is over $40K. I’d make the deputies but their own.

“As a liberal, I think this is ridiculous. These policemen do not need high-powered rifles at all. If some suspects have rifles, they need to just ask the suspects to put them down, and if they don't comply, then ask them what they could do to appease them.” --PHXliberal

No comments:

Post a Comment